Friday, January 29, 2010

Last week's beginner club...I forgot to post this one

Last week, I pulled out some old matching cards that I had leftover from a volunteer team that came last March. Half of the cards have phrases on them and half have pictures (clip art) that correspond to those phrases. They made them by printing out the phrases and clip art pictures and attaching them to index cards. The students then work to match the correct phrase with the picture. Here are the phrases that they used:

1. Ride bikes
2. Get ice cream
3. Go for coffee
4. Order a pizza
5. Go to McDonald's
6. Go to church
7. Study together
8. Take a walk or a hike
9. Go to the park
10. Go shopping
11. Take a camping trip
12. Go to the movies
13. Ice skating
14. Play soccer
15. Bowling
16. Play video games
17. Listen to music

We started by each person drawing a card (we ended up doing this a couple of times because there were more cards than people). We then went around and let everyone practice reading the phrases/words and discussing what they meant (as well as any discrepancies between American English and British English). Then, I divided them into groups to match the cards.

After matching the cards, I paired them up and gave each pair a role-play to read through. They aren't very advanced beginners at all, so it took a little while and a lot of practice.

Role-play 1:
1: What did you do last weekend?
2: My family took a camping trip.
1: What did you do on your camping trip?
2: We slept in the forest and went for a hike.

Role-play 2:
1: What will you do today?
2: I am going shopping.
1: What are you shopping for?
2: I am going to buy a new hat.

Role-play 3:
1: What did you do for lunch today?
2: I ate at McDonald's for lunch.
1: What did you eat?
2: I had a hamburger and french fries.

Role-play 4:
1: What did you do today?
2: I spent time with my friends.
1: What did you do with your friends?
2: We went ice skating!

Each pair read their own role-play, and then we kept swapping until each group had been able to read each of the role-plays.

No comments: