Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Building on the Student-y Type Lesson

I had a different group of students at the University today, so I ended up recycling my "student" lesson and changing it a little.

We still did the Starburst game and the idiom matching activity, but we also added Tic-Tac-Toe and a creative activity.

Tic-Tac-Toe:
We played the game normally, but in order to place their "x" or "o", each team had to provide the correct idiom in response to a prompt I would give them. Examples:
1. I overslept! (idiom = running late)
2. I shouldn't have waited so long to study. (idioms = to cram or all-nighter)
3. Next year will be my last year in school. (vocab = junior)

They really loved it and got into the strategy behind Tic-Tac-Toe.

After playing the game for a few rounds, we did a creative activity: since they are sophomores, I had them (in groups) make lists of advice that they would now pass on to freshmen. That turned out to be very FUNNY!

No comments: